Skip to main content


What is the 'Schedule Fee'?

Answer: The Medicare Schedule Fee is set by the Federal Government and determines the amount in rebates you receive from Medicare and your health fund to assist in covering some of the costs of a medical service. Normally Medicare will contribute 75% of the total rebate, with the remaining 25% contributed by your health fund.

Why is there a 'gap'?

Answer: The Medicare Schedule Fee is not indexed to the consumer price index (CPI). In fact, it has historically fallen behind it. This means that each year, in relative terms, the rebate for a medical service becomes smaller, while the cost of providing that service becomes greater. The end result is that as the years have gone by, the difference between the doctor’s fee and the Medicare Schedule fee has increased.

What is the risk of 'waking up' under anesthesia?

Answer: Recall of some events during “sedation” or “nerve block” type anaesthetics is not to be unexpected. However, awareness while under a general anaesthetic, where a patient may recall sounds or sensations, is an extremely rare occurrence. These days, better protection from this event is offered by some newer forms of anaesthetic monitoring.

May I choose the type of anaesthesia I will receive?

Answer: Certain operations lend themselves to a variety of anaesthetic approaches, although it may be that your medical condition may not allow certain types. If you have any particular preferences, speak with your anaesthetist who is in a position to discuss your options, and between you both, develop the most appropriate plan of management.

Will I be nauseated after anaesthesia?

Answer: Nausea can be a consequence of drugs that you might require during your procedure, or related to the effects of the surgical procedure itself. Fortunately this disturbing side effect of surgery, although not abolished, is far less common than it used to be, thanks to improved anaesthetic techniques and the development of new anti-nausea (antiemetic) drugs. It is a problem that we here at Alliance Anaesthetics go to great lengths to combat. Please raise any past experiences with post-operative nausea and vomiting, or any other concerns you might have with your anaesthetist.

Who is an Anaesthetist?

Answer: An Anaesthetist is a highly specialised and trained doctor who has completed at least 13 years of graduate and postgraduate training to become qualified as a Specialist in Anaesthesia. Specialist Anaesthetists are trained in anaesthesia, pain control, resuscitation and managing medical emergencies and are recognised as Fellows of the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists.

What does an Anaesthetist do?

Answer:  Assess your health and fitness prior to surgery;  Make you unaware of pain during your surgery;  Preserve and monitor your body’s vital functions;  Manage your recovery from anaesthetic and your comfort after surgery.

What is a General Anaesthetic?

Answer: A General Anaesthetic is not a natural sleep but is a reversible drug induced loss of consciousness. You are in a state of controlled unconsciousness so that your surgery/procedure is pain free.